About Welcoming Beaverton
Welcoming Beaverton is an initiative through the City of Beaverton’s Mayor’s Office to recognize, welcome and support the successful integration of our local immigrant community. The City of Beaverton is a proud member of the national Welcoming Cities and Counties initiative – a network of municipalities across the country working to create more welcoming, immigrant-friendly environments that maximize opportunities for economic growth and cultural vitality for all. Beaverton became a Welcoming City in April 2015.
- Read Resolution 4367 Declaring Support for the Muslim Community & Reaffirming Beaverton as a Welcoming City (March 2, 2016)
- Read Resolution 4304 Declaring Beaverton a Welcoming City (April 7, 2015)
- Read Resolution 4429 Declaring the City of Beaverton a Sanctuary City (January 10, 2017)
The City of Beaverton's Diversity Advisory Board, mayor, and city council released open letters on November 16, 2016 reaffirming Beaverton as a welcoming, inclusive community. Both letters express the city's continued commitment to welcoming all people and creating a safe environment for all residents.
About Welcoming Week
Welcoming Week is an annual series of events that bring together immigrants and U.S.-born residents in a spirit of unity. The events raise awareness of the benefits of welcoming and engage immigrant and receiving community members in activities to strengthen relationships and cross-cultural understanding. This year, Beaverton Welcoming Week will be celebrated from Sept. 15 - 24, 2017.
2016 Welcoming Week Proclamation - Tuesday, September 13
2016 Calendar of Events
2015 Calendar of Events
How to be involved:
- Host an event, project, or activity during Welcoming Week! Welcoming Week 2017 - PDF Form.
- Send us a picture with the "I’m a Welcomer" sign to equity@BeavertonOregon.gov. Let us know how you are welcoming immigrants and refugees in the Beaverton community.
- As you attend events, be sure to use #welcomingweek on Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram to share your pictures and stories!
- Contact for more information: Megan Cohen, Cultural Inclusion Specialist: 503-526-2584 | equity@BeavertonOregon.gov
About the Welcoming Beaverton Mini-Grants Each year, the City of Beaverton’s Cultural Inclusion Program sponsors mini-grants for small, community driven projects designed to bring together immigrant and receiving communities.
- to increase opportunities for cross-cultural exchange,
- support welcoming and connected neighborhoods,
- build relationships and understanding to unite residents, and
- foster pride in our diverse community.
Applications are now closed. Check back next spring to apply. More information about grantees coming soon.
- "Welcoming Beaverton: City Officials Now Accepting Mini-Grant Applications for September Event" Beaverton Patch 3/30/2017
- "Hundreds of new U.S. citizens sworn in, told to 'seek knowledge, spread peace" The Oregonian 2/20/2017
- "Oregon officials defy Trump's vow to 'crack down' on sanctuary cities" The Oregonian 1/25/2017
- "Beaverton Becomes Sanctuary City" Beaverton Valley Times 1/11/2017
- "Beaverton Restates Commitment to Diversity" Beaverton Patch 11/16/2016
- "Beaverton Celebrating Welcoming Week" Beaverton Valley Times 9/22/2016
- "Beaverton Library Advisory Board Member Nancy Nkiwane, interviewed by librarian Christina Hanson" The Oregonian 9/13/2016
- "Beaverton Community Invited to Apply for Grants” Beaverton Patch 4/19/2016
- "Beaverton council OKs resolution supporting Muslims, tolerance for all" The Oregonian 3/2/2016
- "City Council supports Muslim community on Super Tuesday" Beaverton Valley Times 3/2/2016
- "The Night Comes Alive in Beaverton (Photos)" Beaverton Valley Times 9/16/2015
- "Beaverton Naturalization Ceremony Swears in 49 new citizens" The Oregonian 9/15/2015
- "Beaverton International Night Market Wildly Successful, Very Crowded" The Oregonian 9/13/2015
- "World Cultures in Spotlight at Beaverton Night Market" Beaverton Valley Times 9/9/2015
- "Beaverton Celebrates Welcoming Week Sept. 12-20" - The Skanner News - 9/9/2015