Your Water System

About Our Water


Drinking water is one of the most critical services that the City provides on a daily basis to the residents and businesses of Beaverton. The City supplies drinking water to about 70,000 residents, or about 78% of the total 90,000 residents who live within the City limits. The remaining 22% of our residents’ water is supplied by the Tualatin Valley Water District, West Slope Water District, or the Raleigh Water District.
page338.jpg

Fast Facts


The following are facts about the City’s water system:
  • In 2010, the City consumed an average of 6.86 million gallons per day (mgd) or a total of 2.5 billion gallons of water. On August 16, 2010 (the highest demand day), the City consumed 12.9 MG of drinking water.
  • In addition to the Joint Water Commission (JWC) Water Treatment Plant and aquifer storage and recovery (ASR) wells, there is an emergency supply capacity of 8 mgd available from two adjoining public water providers (Tualatin Valley Water District and the City of Portland)
  • The City has a three- to four-day supply of stored drinking water in its local reservoirs
  • The City has an additional water supply of 6 mgd available from ASR wells, commonly used only in the summer
  • The City owns additional reservoir storage of 10 MG near the JWC Water Treatment Plant
  • The City’s owned capacity in the JWC Water Treatment Plant is 18.75 mgd
  • The distribution system - separate from the JWC supply system - consists of approximately 263 miles of pipe, ranging from 4-36 inches in diameter.
  • The distribution system contains four pumping stations that lift water from the largest water service pressure zone on the valley floor to the nine other higher elevation water pressure zones within the City’s water service area
  • The distribution system includes five local water storage reservoirs, with a combined total storage volume of 28.25 MG